Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 06 Nov 2008, 12:39

Alleycat wrote:"Tests find poo in Coogee Bay Hotel ice cream sample"

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24 ... 21,00.html

* Tests reveal traces of poo in ice cream
* Not yet known if it's human or animal
* Coogee Bay Hotel staff to give samples

That line requires context fixing because, despite the offer, I will pass on a sample of poo laced ice-cream even if it's free.
DNA tests on the faeces allegedly served at the Coogee Bay Hotel have been inconclusive

FURTHER laboratory tests on faeces found in icecream served at the Coogee Bay Hotel have failed to show if it was from a human or an animal, Newv South Wales Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald says.

Steve and Jessica Whyte claim they were dished up a free ice-cream sundae containing faeces at an NRL grand final function at the eastern Sydney hotel on October 5.

This followed their complaint they could not hear the televised NRL Grand Final over the pub's loud music, they said.

"Tests by the NSW Food Authority have been unable to determine the origin of the faecal sample because of insufficient good quality DNA material in the sample,'' Mr Macdonald said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24 ... 77,00.html

The shit keeps going. But not enough to say where it came from =P.

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 06 Nov 2008, 16:22

I swear to god, you can't make this crap up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/0 ... 41653.html
According to Fox News Chief Political Correspondent Carl Cameron, there was great concern within the McCain campaign that Palin lacked "a degree of knowledgeability necessary to be a running mate, a vice president, a heartbeat away from the presidency," in part because she didn't know which countries were in NAFTA, and she "didn't understand that Africa was a continent, rather than a series, a country just in itself."
So Sarah Palin thought Africa was one continuous country? This is not coming from a tabloid, but from a right-wing FOX NEWS REPORTER.

Holy fuckballs.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 06 Nov 2008, 16:25

The country of Africa.

i lol'd
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 06 Nov 2008, 16:29

And juicy campaign gossip from both sides. Thanks, Newsweek!

Note: read this whole article, because it's really, really scandalous.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167581/page/1

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 06 Nov 2008, 16:31

/sigh

The poor woman has been pretty badly used - and now the repub supporters are going to take her to task because she lost?

She's unqualified for politics, that's not her fault, it's the fault of the campaign that tried to use her without taking into account how unsuitable she was.

When selecting an appropriate political candidate, all people need to do is think, "Yes... I respect 'hockey moms', they're generally good people. But would I go to one for advice on accounting, foreign affairs or ethics?"

The answer is no.

If your campaign tries to pull stupid shit like that, it has to be prepared to step back graciously when it loses.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 06 Nov 2008, 16:51

I dunno, i happened to like McCains speech when he conceeded defeat. He did dwell abit much on Afro-americans tho, but that was to be expected.
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 06 Nov 2008, 17:38

OH NOES SHE WAS IN A TOWEL...

I've answered the door butt naked in winter in Korea before. Sometimes it's the only way to make them PISS OFF AND LEAVE ME ALONE. Mind you I'm not a VP candidate but even if I was I would probably do the same anyway (but I might charge for the shots cause I bet VP loins go for a fair bit in magazines)

I love the last part from Obama. Quoted for funneeeees, It's in reference to the debate formats.

I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself,
'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me … answer it.'
So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that you've done [that's green], and I say, you know,
'Well, I planted a bunch of trees.'
And he says,
'I'm talking about personal.'
What I'm thinking in my head is,
'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'."

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 06 Nov 2008, 17:43

Johnnyrico wrote:I dunno, i happened to like McCains speech when he conceeded defeat. He did dwell abit much on Afro-americans tho, but that was to be expected.
McCain gave a pretty damn good concession speech - probably his best speech of the campaign.

It's more the people whining that they had to hide Palin's terrible terrible behaviour from him because she was so bad, and how she was awfuls to my kids and she made my grandmother cry.

Let her slink back to Alaska and leave her alone now.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 06 Nov 2008, 23:08

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 07 Nov 2008, 02:04

Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Runetender
Legendary

Post by Runetender » 07 Nov 2008, 11:23

As if invading Iraq and Afghanistan wasn't enough, the US Army now wants to invade Azeroth in the World of Warcraft.

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 07 Nov 2008, 11:28

I hope Blizzard bans them for botting.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 07 Nov 2008, 11:32

Hahaha...

Some possibilities:

1) How many of you are actually US army bots? Own up!

2) "Our raid wiped because the army AI refused to pull out..."

3) This is just a big conspiracy to allow army research chiefs to bot for gold to fund their elite raiding guilds. News at 11.

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 07 Nov 2008, 12:59

Other projects include researching technology to erase memories that cause trauma, creating nanites that can rebuild limbs and finding ways that soldiers can play MMOs all day without getting fired.
I want to take part in this!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 07 Nov 2008, 13:21

The concept of video games and soldiers isn't that new - IIRC, back when doom was still srs bsnss, the US army was messing around with a modified version to help simulate group activities and synchronisation.

If you can't run through tyres, you can control a robot... who runs through tyres.