Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 02 Oct 2008, 17:08

“It didn’t feel like I was in there all that long. We were hungry.”

I once bought and consumed a single family pack thingy with a friend of mine while rushing through a project at uni.

I felt ill for days after.

KFC 3 times a week is just...
snowsloth wrote:words fail me right now ...
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 02 Oct 2008, 18:51

I think the photo exlpains it all...
"we were just hungry" hmmm :shock:

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 02 Oct 2008, 18:55

If I had to guess, I bet she ate the parking meter too.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 03 Oct 2008, 00:31

kfc three times a week

Good game fatass.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 03 Oct 2008, 15:34

Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 17 Oct 2008, 12:00

http://www.infoworld.com/news/feeds/08/ ... ernet.html

Oh for the love of...

And this is from the party who is less likely to try to enforce unenforceable ICT censorship.

There are so many things wrong with the content of that article, I don't even know where to begin.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Oct 2008, 16:24

While we're at it:
http://torrentfreak.com/record-label-in ... ed-081019/

le sigh.

So much ignorance. Remember kids; you don't need to register anything to hold a copyright. As soon as you've created it, it's yours (provided it, you know, wasn't actually someone else's already). That's it.

You don't even have to put "Copyright, Anal(yst)(The)rapists 2008" on or around it. Honest.

Further, copyright infringement is a civil matter, not a criminal one. ISPs, hosts etc etc - it's not their prerogative to police other people's copyright infringement. It's not even the police' prerogative to police copyright infringement.

It is the copyright holder's responsibility to do so; until they have submitted a complaint, even the Goddamn cops can't do anything to you even if you tell them you're downloading Limp Bizkit's Most Weaksauce Album of the Year record or whatever.

If you download music, or even if you host music for other people to download on your website, and you don't have permission to do so from the copyright holders, you aren't, strictly speaking, a criminal pirate.

Now if you charged for that music - or you were making copies of it on disc and selling them from your car boot or something - that's a different matter. Don't do that.

Also:
A lot of webhosts are dicks, and don't bother to understand the laws which are pertinent to them and their customers. Choose your webhost wisely, and give the finger to the lazy ones.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 20 Oct 2008, 16:42

The internet blocking shit sounds like we are headed the way of China and North Korea. The beginning of the end of free speech and freedom of information. Chances are once this shit gets in place it will continue to snowball until we end up in a V for Vendetta situation and at that time... Anon will strike back

I'm in ur /b/ being anon

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Oct 2008, 16:49

The cliche, "the internet treats censorship as noise and routes around it" holds true, no matter what.

The issue here is more that the people passing laws are either grossly misinformed or completely apathetic to the workings of the technology in question (or both).

If our government passes filtering laws (and actually attempts to enforce them), I have no doubt at all that they will be completely ineffective.

But just the fact that they are attempting to legislate so poorly in these areas is cause for exasperation - if they treated these issues properly, and took advice from well-informed experts (rather than self-interested lobbyists and the "save the children" crowd), there are all sorts of improvements and advancements to be made, economically, technologically, so on, so forth.

Instead, the internets collectively just drums its fingers and waits for everyone else to catch up.

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 20 Oct 2008, 17:12

I have to admit that I hold a certain fondness for the mid-1990s era of the internet. Back when everyone who was anyone had a crappy ass homepage on Geocities, internet commerce was a novel idea, and we had this whole "Wild West" thing going on where you could do or say whatever you wanted and the government kept its nose out everything.

And now we're coming to this. Bah.

snowsloth
Uncommon

Post by snowsloth » 22 Oct 2008, 09:53

Cartollomew wrote:http://www.infoworld.com/news/feeds/08/ ... ernet.html

Oh for the love of...

And this is from the party who is less likely to try to enforce unenforceable ICT censorship.

There are so many things wrong with the content of that article, I don't even know where to begin.
and we will be burning books soon...

http://nocleanfeed.com/
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 22 Oct 2008, 10:13

Lol under "technical issues"
No software yet exists that can accomplish what the Minister is trying to do.
Thats a kind of major technical issue it's like "I want to enforce a law that says everyone has to learn how to fly."...

I feel bad for you guys if something like that goes down, it will rape your internet access, WELCOME TO CHINA 2.0.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 22 Oct 2008, 17:39

My quest to end the world of misplaced modifiers continues! Take a look at this article title:

Women Reveal Which Beauty Products Actually Work On New Blog

So tell me, Molotovians: what beauty products do you use on YOUR new blogs?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Oct 2008, 17:56

Bahahaha...

Headline Editors Fail to Use Adequate Precision In Speech

Well what do you expect when you ask a headline editor to give a speech?

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 22 Oct 2008, 18:30

The counter to Religious advertising

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24 ... 09,00.html