Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 21 May 2008, 12:06

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... 7920080520

The thing that disturbs me most about this is that the person they've quoted seems to be under the impression that pregnancy is impossible when engaging in anal sex without a condom.

I mean, if adult experts in the field are saying this, is it any wonder 1/4 of teenage wenches have STDs and a whole mess of otherwise not-so-stupid kids are pregnant ahead of time?

Also, Rico, stop impregnating the dumb American girls. We want the intelligent ones to breed.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 21 May 2008, 12:13

The article itself isn't terribly interesting, but CNN always has really stupid article titles.

"Wave of unity and Patriotism Sweeps China"

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiap ... index.html

Grats CNN. The current wave of patriotism has only swept China since the 1950s.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 21 May 2008, 12:18

Philondra wrote:Grats CNN. The current wave of patriotism has only swept China since the 1950s.
LONGEST WAVE OF PATRIOTISM EVER TO SWEEP!

Heh. There's an archived public service video from back in the day about how you should never wash your clothes with gasoline (I'm not even joking). At one stage they show a newspaper front page with the headline:

ANOTHER DEAD IN GASOLINE WASHING EXPLOSION

(or something to that effect) With a huge article.

At the very bottom of the page is a headline:
100,000 dead in Chinese earthquake

It occurs to me that not a lot has changed in journalism. :roll:
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 May 2008, 17:47

In our continued series of stuff written by reporters who have very little to do:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Sto ... 398&page=1

I can totally relate.

I watch Dexter and I understand that lessons there can only be partially applied to my real life - for example, I'd never be foolish enough to embark on a bloody crusade of dismembered murderers (but I worry so about my younger siblings!) but I now know how to safely dispose of a pair of dead hookers with a minimum of risk.

It's the important life lessons I can bring away from these clearly fictional and greatly exaggerated visual texts.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 22 May 2008, 17:55

Man I love dexter.... WTB season 3 PST... I want it fast... but I'd rather it took longer and was actually good.

Like as good as Season 1.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 May 2008, 17:57

Karjalan wrote:Man I love dexter.... WTB season 3 PST... I want it fast... but I'd rather it took longer and was actually good.

Like as good as Season 1.
I liked season two - it started slowly, but I think it had to, and the final episode was almost a complete cop-out... but everything in between was masterful.

I'd kinda prefer it if they didn't make any more tbh.

I mean - I can dismember and hide corpses. What more could they possibly teach me?

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 22 May 2008, 18:12

I didn't not like season 2, I thought it was underrated. I just liked how complete and well done season 1's storey was. I just preferred 1.

I definitely want a season 3. As long as it doesn't become too... mainstreamy, like I heard talks some shitty Network that would basically cut out all the swear words and nudity out because they were mainstreamish... probably some of the kill/death scenes too.

It would basically become CSI Miami 2... And Dexters Sister (forgot her name, I watched it a LONG time ago) would basically have 3 words each episode >.<
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 May 2008, 18:43

Karjalan wrote:I didn't not like season 2, I thought it was underrated. I just liked how complete and well done season 1's storey was. I just preferred 1.

I definitely want a season 3. As long as it doesn't become too... mainstreamy, like I heard talks some shitty Network that would basically cut out all the swear words and nudity out because they were mainstreamish... probably some of the kill/death scenes too.

It would basically become CSI Miami 2... And Dexters Sister (forgot her name, I watched it a LONG time ago) would basically have 3 words each episode >.<
Hahahahaha.

Dexter - fifteen minute shorts where some people allude to death and the mystery is whether or not he's actually a serial killer.

In other news, Mitra dropped the book off to me the other day. I have yet to read it, but I believe it's reasonably different in places.

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 23 May 2008, 10:54

From the article...
Lisa left her "Samantha" ways behind at 19, when she moved to Utah, became a Mormon, married a man within the church and gave birth to two children. For the first year of her marriage, her husband forbade her to watch "Sex and the City" for fear that it would lure her back to her habits of sex, drugs and one-too-many cosmos.
I find this bit about as troubling as the attempting to replicate Sex and the City at a young age. I wonder if reporters ever stop, look at what they're writing and realise 'wait, it's not the fault of [x], this person is just really fucked up'? Probably not... In other news, Car Jacking rates up 50% after release of GTA4, this story and more tonight...

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 26 May 2008, 16:33

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/05/guilty-verdict.html

I like this quote:
Groups like APC that specialize in leaking pre-release music are at the top of the piracy pyramid and the efforts of federal law enforcement have dealt a real blow to these kinds of operations.
...sure, it would make more sense to try to take out the bottom of the "pyramid", but when they tried that, the initiative was strangely unpopular...

Also:

Regarding this post...

If you follow the link, it has a "this story is a parody" disclaimer... was that always there?

Makes sense... since that "Ralph's ambition is to become a politician" line didn't sit right with me.

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 28 May 2008, 22:44

How do you tell if you are a true Aussie? Here are 43 top ways to tell

You know you're Australian if....

1. You know the meaning of the word 'girt'.

2. You believe that stubbies can be either drunk or worn.

3. You think it's normal to have a leader called Kevin.

4. You waddle when you walk due to the 53 expired petrol discount vouchers stuffed in your wallet or purse.

5. You've made a bong out of your garden hose rather than use it for something illegal such as watering the garden.

6. You believe it is appropriate to put a rubber in your son's pencil case when he first attends school.

7. When you hear that an American 'roots for his team' you wonder how often and with whom.

8. You understand that the phrase 'a group of women wearing black thongs' refers to footwear and may be less alluring than it sounds.

9. You pronounce Melbourne as 'Mel-bin'.

10. You pronounce Penrith as 'Pen-riff'.

11. You believe the 'l' in the word ' Australia ' is optional.

12. You can translate: 'Dazza and Shazza played Acca Dacca on the way to Maccas.'

13. You believe it makes perfect sense for a nation to decorate its highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.

14. You call your best friend 'a total bastard' but someone you really, truly despise is just 'a bit of a bastard'.

15. You think 'Woolloomooloo' is a perfectly reasonable name for a place.

16. You're secretly proud of our killer wildlife.

17. You believe it makes sense for a country to have a $1 coin that's twice as big as its $2 coin.

18. You understand that 'Wagga Wagga' can be abbreviated to 'Wagga' but 'Woy Woy' can't be called 'Woy'.

19. You believe that cooked-down axlegrease makes a good breakfast spread.

20. You believe all famous Kiwis are actually Australian, until they stuff up, at which point they again become Kiwis.

21. Hamburger. Beetroot. Of course.

22. You know that certain words must, by law, be shouted out during any rendition of the Angels' song 'Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again.'

23. You believe, as an article of faith, that the confectionary known as the Wagon Wheel has become smaller with every passing year.

24. You still don't get why the 'Labor' in 'Australian Labor Party' is not spelt with a 'u'.

25. You wear ugg boots outside the house.

26. You believe, as an article of faith, that every important discovery in the world was made by an Australian but then sold off to the Yanks for a pittance.

27. You believe that the more you shorten someone's name the more you like them.

28. Whatever your linguistic skills, you find yourself able to order takeaway fluently in every Asian language.

29. You understand that 'excuse me' can sound rude, while 'scuse me' is always polite.

30. You know what it's like to swallow a fly, on occasion via your nose.

31. You understand that 'you' has a plural and that it's 'youse'.

32. You know it's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle.

33. Your biggest family argument over the summer concerned the rules for beach cricket.

34. You shake your head in horror when companies try to market what they call 'Anzac cookies'.

35. You still think of Kylie as 'that girl off Neighbours'.

36. When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs - just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.

37. You believe the phrase 'smart casual' refers to a pair of black tracky-daks, suitably laundered.

38. You understand that all train timetables are works of fiction.

39. When working on a bar, you understand male customers will feel the need to offer an excuse whenever they order low-alcohol beer.

40. You get choked up with emotion by the first verse of the national anthem and then have trouble remembering the second.

41. You find yourself ignorant of nearly all the facts deemed essential in the government's new test for migrants.

42. You know, whatever the tourist books say, that no one says 'cobber'.

43. And you will immediately forward this list to other Australians, here and overseas, realising that only they will understand.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

derelictfrog
Rare

Post by derelictfrog » 29 May 2008, 01:08

Classic, youse haha!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 29 May 2008, 13:26

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid ... 0&from=rss

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 29 May 2008, 13:32

Baha I love it.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 29 May 2008, 14:17

In Myanmar, women's panties are thought to sap a man's power.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiap ... pstoryview

....what?