"Victims of Legitimate Rape Don't Get Pregnant"

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Philondra
Legendary
"Victims of Legitimate Rape Don't Get Pregnant"

Post by Philondra » 20 Aug 2012, 18:26

So this Republican senate nominee in Missouri was answering a question about his stance on abortion, which he, um, blundered over:

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/ ... e-rape.php?
First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
So you heard it here first, women! If you get pregnant because of rape, either 1.) your body wasn't trying hard enough to stop it or 2.) it wasn't a real rape to begin with. One can only presume that it's not a "legitimate" rape if, for example, the woman was really drunk or was wearing an excessively short skirt. because we all know that means they're just asking for it.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: "Victims of Legitimate Rape Don't Get Pregnant"

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Aug 2012, 21:13

The sad part is that this isn't the first time a Republican has suggested that this is the case - I remember hearing it almost a year ago and doing a spit-take.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 20 Aug 2012, 21:43

Wait... this isn't true... well...

Seriously this guy just floored me with how amazingly backed up with facts he is.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 21 Aug 2012, 10:31

Looks like they're getting it from these fuckers.

I understand the desire to boil things down to right and wrong with a clearly defined line. But that often doesn't happen, and blanket legislation doesn't make the moral line any clearer.

What you can make a clear distinction on: rape is a terrible thing. Attempting the leverage the fact that statistically not many rapes result in pregnancies (true, but not for the reasons they cite made up) in order to justify blanket abortion control legislation is reprehensible - particularly when it comes with a helping of victim blaming.

That public figures can bring themselves to say these things is pretty disturbing.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 21 Aug 2012, 12:08

I'm depressed that before this statement it looks like he's going to win the senate seat.

Hope this enough to change people's mind but its Missouri so probably not :(

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 22 Aug 2012, 00:25

Interestingly enough, Paul Ryan (the Repub vice-presidential pick) co-signed legislation with this idiot about a year ago to distinguish between 'rape' and 'forcible-rape', with the intent to restrict the funding of abortion in cases of rape to just being in case of 'forcible rape'... Because if your jaw ain't broke, you clearly wanted it. *mindboggles*

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 22 Aug 2012, 11:23

What's the discernible difference between rape and forcible rape? I assume it'd be outlined in that piece of legislation. I really can't comprehend how they can intelligibly define that This Rape is worse than That Rape.

Thankfully the idiot resigned his position, it's just sad that it took an incident like this to get him out.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Aug 2012, 12:37

When laying out sentencing options, do they allow convicted rapists to pay 50 shekels of silver and then marry their victim?

That would be a traditional approach in keeping with their values.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 23 Aug 2012, 13:17

For those who would like to know:

That clears things up!