HDMI Cable - Worlds Most Expensive!

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Dropdeadqt
Legendary
HDMI Cable - Worlds Most Expensive!

Post by Dropdeadqt » 30 Apr 2012, 11:06

As we are all very tech savvy people here this will not come as a surprise and we will find it funny... RIGHT...

The worlds most expensive pile of shit: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQuest+ ... 8324437192

Yes, that is a 1 meter long HDMI cable for the cost of a New 42" 3D TV, a PS3 to play your Blu-Rays (and games) and a top quality 1 meter HDMI cable from your local retailer...

For a good laugh, check out the reviews =).

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: HDMI Cable - Worlds Most Expensive!

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Apr 2012, 11:52

Oh FFS.

Up there with the silver speaker cable at $300 a meter and the wooden amplifier volume knob ("for a warmer tone!") at $400.

People don't seem to get that with digital cables, if you're getting a signal, and it's all there (no tearing or blocky bits), then that's it - that's as good as it gets. Your 1s and 0s can be carried through a $10 cable (gross profit: $8) or through a $1000 cable (gross profit: $980) and they are the exact same identical 1s and 0s.

On the other hand, if you need this:
HD polyethylene composition
Optimized to ensure critical signal-pair geometry.
Then what options do you have?

I scrolled down to "What's included", in the hopes that it would include a TV or laptop or something. No dice.

For bonus points, under "Suggested accessories", the sole item is a 12 foot long HDMI cable for 15 bucks.

3.5 times the length, 1/73rd the price. An excellent accessory to have around in case your thousand dollar cable is being repaired under its 5 year warranty.

Don't despair at the near perfect reviews from 100 customers - it looks mostly like trolls, which restores some of my faith in humanity.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!