Someone is stealing my thoughts...

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Dropdeadqt
Legendary
Someone is stealing my thoughts...

Post by Dropdeadqt » 22 Mar 2012, 15:21

Just this morning I was plugging around in google trying to find who or what organization determines the prices for games and IT products in Australia.

Then this afternoon I read this...

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/la ... 6307350714

Would be nice if something positive actually came of something like this but the reality is that action on goverment inquiries is very similar to the Duke Nukem Forever saga.

13 years in the making and a steaming pile of shit no-one wants is delivered.

Lellybaby
Legendary

Re: Someone is stealing my thoughts...

Post by Lellybaby » 22 Mar 2012, 16:14

There needs to be an inquiry into why everything is so expensive in Australia at the moment...

I'm all for paying more taxes for better services but things like electricity costs are out of control. /endrant

Ontopic: Never heard of this guy but i'm glad someone is willing to raise the issue. I still think Stephen Conroy is a waste of space so I don't really think anything will happen.

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

midi
Legendary

Re: Someone is stealing my thoughts...

Post by midi » 22 Mar 2012, 16:43

Generally what I've read is that there's three distinct reasons.

1. Wages
2. Rent.
3. Lock-in.

Wages, obviously, compared to other countries we have better conditions, but I'm not convinced its the worst issue.
Rents are pretty nasty in Aus... We're like on par for New York CBD or something.
Lock-ins... 100-500% markups because of where we live. Common stories of it being so much cheaper from overseas, but wait, you're in Australian. You have to go through our distributor... who then in turn charges outrageous sums... oh and it'll be a 6 week wait as we get it from overseas.

How accurate the reporting is... eh... tough call.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯