Preachy QC

Use this forum to post various productivity killers. Give each item/group of items their own thread!
Forum rules
Don't forget to post NSFW if in doubt (and especially when not in doubt).
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Preachy QC

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Feb 2010, 17:23

Is it just me, or have the last 2 comics been a little too "Sesame Street for Adults"?

Specifically:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1596

Reading this one made me feel downright queasy - I was half expecting Dora to break out with "We're all special in our own way, different coloured people, but that's okay!"

I can read a copy of Mindy has two Dads - alternative relationships are okay too!* if I want, I don't need it thrust at me in a comic.

More to the point, the prime QC demographic is hip, young socially liberal wankers like myself anyway - we don't need it explained that "some people can have a committed polyamorous relationship and they're just dandy", we already think that. And for the other readers, they aren't going to have their minds changed by some PSA, plastic smile style QC warm'n'fuzzy edition.

I can see why he's done it - to appease the whiners who thought he was having a go at poly relationships. Perhaps it would have been better to state that the characters aren't just a vehicle for his particular world view, and they might be narrow or imprecise at times.

But it's too late for that, since in today's comic he's shown that the characters are just a vehicle for his voice, so now we can expect (at least the main ones) to be representative of the views of the comic and JJ as a whole.

I don't mind QC being highbrow or lowbrow, sophisticated or cheap, but preachy liberals irk just as much as preachy conservatives.

*Not to be confused with Mindy has two Daddies - alternative positions are okay too!, available from all good adult web sites
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Mitra
Legendary

Re: Preachy QC

Post by Mitra » 08 Feb 2010, 18:45

i didn't have an issue with fridays. todays was just pandering.

friday seemed to be a launching point for a new story arc for tai and needed some exposition
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Feb 2010, 18:49

Mitra wrote:i didn't have an issue with fridays. todays was just pandering.

friday seemed to be a launching point for a new story arc for tai and needed some exposition
Fair call.

But I sound much pettier if I say "this one comic", instead of "lately, the comics".

Also, it's pretty petty to complain about free comics anyway, but my point remains.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 09 Feb 2010, 02:38

I think Mondays was a kneejerk response to Fridays fan mail. It did have a whole weekend to accumulate and if you read his comment, it's explained adequately (I think anyway). He obviously wants to keep his readership (To pay the bills) and pandering to a select group of them to keep their fanship is just something he had to do.

I don't have a problem with either, apart from the fact that he caved to opinionated presumptuous assholes.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Feb 2010, 03:17

Mews wrote:I don't have a problem with either, apart from the fact that he caved to opinionated presumptuous assholes.
Yeh, my main issue is that the newspost would have done the trick.

Eh, whatever.