This is like, for Phil. And like, everyone, like... else.

Use this forum to post various productivity killers. Give each item/group of items their own thread!
Forum rules
Don't forget to post NSFW if in doubt (and especially when not in doubt).
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
This is like, for Phil. And like, everyone, like... else.

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Dec 2008, 16:03

Like, awesome!
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Re: This is like, for Phil. And like, everyone, like... else.

Post by Philondra » 20 Jan 2009, 13:52

This is obviously a fake image intended to be funny, but I'm not sure exactly how much of this is intneded to be tongue-in-cheek satire and how much is just unintended grammar hypocrasy.

"Acadamy of Linguistic Awareness" <-- Intentional misspelling?

"Don't sound stupid, stop saying like."

PET PEEVE INC:
Comma splices anger me. Unless you're Emily Dickinson or some other famous poet, you don't get to use comma splices as a stylistic device. Why/when did comma splices start to become an accepted part of the English language? Every time I see one I want to rail out against the world.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 20 Jan 2009, 14:00

example of comma splices pls
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 20 Jan 2009, 14:31

Comma splices are all over the place: TV, video games, signs) and a lot of people don't even realize they are wrong!

I'll use wikipedia's example, which is very clear:

It is nearly half past five, we cannot reach town before dark.

Most people end up using comma splices because they would generally pause at the offending spot if the sentence was read out loud. However, it is gramatically incorrect to join two independent clauses with a comma. You can do a quick test for comma splices in your own writing by asking yourself, "If I replace this comma with a period, will I end up with two gramatically correct sentences?"

The above sentence can be fixed in a number of ways:

It is nearly half past five; we cannot reach town before dark. (semicolon method)
As it is nearly past five, we cannot reach town before dark. (make one clause a dependant clause)
It is nearly past five, and we cannot reach town before dark. (add a conjunction such as "and")
It is nearly past five. We cannot reach town before dark. (make two sentences instead of one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_splice

Chappy
Epic

Post by Chappy » 20 Jan 2009, 14:38

If light travels faster then sound,
does that explain why some ppl appear bright untill thay speak??

OH BTW that chick in the poster, it wouldnt matter how she spoke and if she said like or not, her face still looks like a crab with a smashed shell.
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Jan 2009, 15:07

Comma splices don't irritate me too much; I suspect it's the result of some overzealous professors railing against semicolons.

Historically, you'll find equally egregious crimes against the semicolon - I guess it's just not fashionable at the moment.

Who is this Emily Dickinson bird? She just sounds like another freak!
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Nats
Rare

Post by Nats » 20 Jan 2009, 19:34

I'm gonna get my friends count every "like" while drunk.