Random Pics - *Warning* - large pics

Use this forum to post various productivity killers. Give each item/group of items their own thread!
Forum rules
Don't forget to post NSFW if in doubt (and especially when not in doubt).
midi
Legendary

Post by midi » 23 Oct 2008, 14:04

Blame my work friend for this, his car forums had a whole heap

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 23 Oct 2008, 14:18

I love the "team killers" and "stupid terrorists" ones
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 24 Oct 2008, 13:47

I don't know if this quailifies as "funny" or not, because it made me die a little inside. Note that "football" is used in the American sense.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Oct 2008, 13:56

Is it not possible that there are like, 3 universities with way way overpaid coaches and that's skewing the mean?

Really, it'd be better to compare median in one graph and mean in another, to get a decent picture.

But on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if that's an accurate depiction.

University sport in Australia isn't anywhere near the big deal it is in the US, but I'd imagine over there it brings in a fair few students, and therefore a fair bit of money?

It'd be hard to justify not paying those sorts of figures to coaches if it meant they'd move somewhere they did get paid.

Personally, I think sport (and perhaps entertainment) needs to be reined in overall - and figures they earn truly are mind boggling, even for a "professional" career.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 24 Oct 2008, 14:14

Universority sport is HUGE, and has a large effect on what kinds of students a given school attracts. Shockingly, I have an anecdote about this!

I went to what we refer to as a "Liberal Arts" university. These are universities that are primarily undergrad-only and have small numbers of students (ranging from 300~3000, with numbers from 1000-1500 being the most common.). Classes are characteriszed by being very small, and students are able to interact with their professors a lot more than a large university. I wanted to go to one of these universities for the smaller, homey atmosphere. I also hated the idea of campus life being dominated by fraternities and football players.

So I chose to look at only those liberal arts university that didn't have fraternities and that had strong East Asian Studies programs. When I went to visit my first choice school, I was told that the university did have a football team, but they were actually made fun of in Newsweek magazine because they hadn't won a game in seven years, and when they went up against the *only other* university football team that hadn't won in seven years, they lost 51-3.

I was sold. I also made it a point to watch the women's softball team's home matches.

But my university was a civil rights beacon. It was part of the Underground Railroad, was the first university to admit blacks and women.

The football thing was the clincher.

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 24 Oct 2008, 17:11

Philondra wrote:But my university was a civil rights bacon.
Fixed.

I also agree with Cart, sports players and entertainers are paid a lot. On the other hand, at the other of the success spectrum a lot of unknowns get paid sweet fuck all, so maybe it's "well earned". Also if you pour everything into those sort of careers and get no where, you're pretty much fucked aren't unless you have something to fall back on.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Oct 2008, 17:48

Nah, if you fail at football, you can just take up coaching for a million dollars a year.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 24 Oct 2008, 21:36

Well I'm not a fan of how much sports stars make, but then they don't exactly have long careers... other than golf and driving, there is about a 35-40 age limit before most people become useless. And unless your super committed or some shit you haven't exactly been building up a few theses or a business to fall back on those past 10-20 years of your sporting "career"
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 25 Oct 2008, 00:30

Terrorist Chess

Derathius
Epic

Post by Derathius » 25 Oct 2008, 12:27

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 25 Oct 2008, 15:31

omg, the chick with the tatts is hawtttt!!~!

oh look, cupcakes!

Runetender
Legendary

Post by Runetender » 31 Oct 2008, 12:04

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 31 Oct 2008, 13:04

omg haha, I loled so hard at that chick falling down the hole.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 10 Nov 2008, 14:29

Have you ever wondered what would happen if fast food restaurant Mascots had to fight in a Street Fighter game?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 10 Nov 2008, 14:32

Excellent.

Also:
Love the giant boobs on Wendy - surely having a large bosom would impede one's street fighting ability?