PC Parts Suppliers Brisbane

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Dropdeadqt
Legendary
PC Parts Suppliers Brisbane

Post by Dropdeadqt » 15 Feb 2011, 09:32

I used to get all my crap through www.gamedude.com.au but recently I heard of some other places that are as cheap/cheaper and have much better service.

I was wondering if anyone happens to have any idea what I'm talking about. It's southside I think.

If not, where does everyone else snag up their computer parts?

Tugger
Epic

Re: PC Parts Suppliers Brisbane

Post by Tugger » 15 Feb 2011, 11:37

I use Centrecom down here in Melbourne.

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 15 Feb 2011, 14:00

I tend to use either UMart (http://www.umart.com.au/) which is over in Milton, if I'm after cheap components, or Computer Alliance (www.computeralliance.com.au) out on Logan Road, at the north end of Mt Gravatt, if I'm after slightly better customer service (or a component that Umart lacks). Neither one is great (though Computer Alliance is ok, if the staff are feeling helpful), and Umart in particular is just a 'type in code on order computer and then wait in a busy room for 10 minutes' sort of place, but I despise Gamedude, from the few dealings I've had with them, so both are a step up from there and should be around the same price.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 15 Feb 2011, 15:57

I don't know if any of the Queensland branches are close to you, but MSY are stupidly cheap here in Perth.

They're kinda "soup-nazi" style when it comes to service though, so you need to know the part numbers you want, and probably backup numbers in case they don't have the preferred item.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Tugger
Epic

Post by Tugger » 15 Feb 2011, 16:26

Cartollomew wrote:I don't know if any of the Queensland branches are close to you, but MSY are stupidly cheap here in Perth.

They're kinda "soup-nazi" style when it comes to service though, so you need to know the part numbers you want, and probably backup numbers in case they don't have the preferred item.
MSY is cheapest in Melbourne also but like you said, service sucks balls.

Scharla
Epic

Post by Scharla » 15 Feb 2011, 18:37

http://www.staticice.com.au

Australian PC parts price search engine, can filter by state.

Also love MSY myself for cheap parts if I just need 1 or 2, I use Scorptec when I actually want service but you pay a premium with them. (In Melbourne)

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 15 Feb 2011, 21:36

I can't remember the name of the place but it's right next to gamedude... Thats where we currently go mainly cos had really bad experiences getting stuff fixed through gamedude or charging us and saying there is nothing wrong.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 16 Feb 2011, 12:14

I also used UMart for bits and pieces Alley in brisbane

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 17 Feb 2011, 00:15

Alright, got a PC set up for qt's parents since their old one had basically died.

Now got another question. But first, some back story!

So while in Korea, we purchased 2 monitors, a 17 and a 21 inch wide screen.

These we have had no problems with while there but while leaving in order to cut down on weight we left all of the cables in Korea. After arriving home I've discovered a rather annoying dilemma.

PC monitors in Australia use the standard computer plug that you run into the back of your PC (The "Kambrook Kettle" plug). This is great except the 2 monitors I have use an adapter.

The adapter takes the standard afore mentioned plug and gives an output of 12v 3.5/4A. In my effort to save on weight, I left those adapters in Korea as at the time, I believed that it was a standard change in monitors as one was 3 years old and the other about 10 months (with both using identical adaptors).

Now in figuring this out I've found what to search for and have stumbled across this.

Which is the thing I need (Note the output voltage and amps).

Unfortunately prices seem to fluctuate incredible from $6 to $130 bucks a piece >.>

So follow up. Anyone know where I could get my hands on a female output 12v 3.5 or 4 amp DC adaptor?

P.S. They look VERY similar to the sort of adapter that you use to charge laptops but the output is considerable different (15-20v and 4-5amps) AND they use a male plug on the end where as the one I'm looking for has a female end.

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 17 Feb 2011, 00:52

could look up the Australian distributor of the monitor here.
find out the warranty contact and shoot them an email/call them.
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 17 Feb 2011, 10:10

This may/may not be useful if you find something almost correct:

-You need to match the voltage output on the power brick
-You need to match or exceed the current output (amperes) on the original power brick. If the new PSU has, say, a 6 amp rating, it will only output as much as is needed by the monitor, so that's fine.
-You need to match the polarity of the original brick. Usually this isn't a problem, and it's at least a 50/50 shot, but if you get it wrong, it's reasonably likely that your monitor will be very unhappy about it. In a permanent way.

Polarity determines which output wire is positive and which is negative (the inside bit or the outside bit). Usually it's standard, but not always, so do try to find out what your original polarity was :-P

It's often marked by a plus sign pointing to the respective bit and a negative sign pointing to the other, or by a broken line and an unbroken line.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Tugger
Epic

Post by Tugger » 17 Feb 2011, 10:29

Stop being a tightarse and just buy a new monitor. Problem solved!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 17 Feb 2011, 15:36

I have to be a tightass when I don't have a job.

Managed to find a 12v 5a adapter in qt's families campervan for the LCD TV then have /win.

This will get 1 up and running and we may have a spare monitor for the other PC.

Working on running some CAT5 into the room we are staying in from the router upstairs.

MAY be on tonight (Tho probably not at this stage).