plz help with Vid card choice.

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Chappy
Epic
plz help with Vid card choice.

Post by Chappy » 21 Jan 2010, 11:26

ordering new computer... after sorting out the CPU PS MB and RAM im left with about $240 in budget for a video card... these r my 2 choices im looking at

plz help what is the better value for money.

http://www.allneeds.com.au/prod609.htm
Gigabyte GF GTX 260+ (216SP) PCI-E 2.0 896MB for $235.00
Gigabyte GF GTX 260+ (216 Stream Processors) PCI-E 2.0 896MB GDDR3 448-bit, Core clock 576MHz, Memory clock 1998MHz, Supports DirectX 10, Supports NVIDIA® SLI TM (Scalable Link Interface) technology, Supports 2 DVI-I connectors, Supports HDMI connector (by adapter), Supports 2 D-Sub connectors (by adapter), Supports HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) technology, Smart Fan.

or
http://www.allneeds.com.au/prod95.htm
Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB Vapor-X for $ 237.00
With 800 Stream processors and 1GB of the latest DDR5 memory, together with enhanced clock speeds of 860MHz core and 1200MHz (4.8GHz effective) for the memory, the SAPPHIRE HD 5770 Vapor-X model is the fastest card in its class. SAPPHIRE’s World leading Vapor-X technology not only allows the card to run quieter than the standard model, it runs 9ºC cooler than the reference design* and provides additional headroom for performance tuning (overclocking).

The SAPPHIRE HD 5770 Vapor-X speeds through current DirectX 10.1, DirectX 10 and DirectX 9.0 games and applications, and will support stunning new levels of detail, transparency and lighting effects in new releases of software using DirectX 11. All of this comes with modest active power consumption and Dynamic Power Management delivering super low-power operation in 2D or idle.
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run

Xact
Legendary

Re: plz help with Vid card choice.

Post by Xact » 21 Jan 2010, 11:31

I know it's a little bit more but I just bought a Asus 5850 but I saw HIS ones on special at MSY for about $370

Screeny for res/graphics/FPS epeen flex.

Great card really.

Lionhearted
Rare

Post by Lionhearted » 21 Jan 2010, 11:38

Chappy,

My last three video cards have all been ATI's and never had a single issue. They run fast and quiet. I have a HD4870 now and only when it gets super busy in a raid environment with 25 people and massive AOE does it start to slow down but still cranking 30+FPS with full detail and thats the 512mb card. In Darl is sits on 65-70fps and anywhere when I'm out mining its over 120fps!

My advice would be the new HD5770 with 1GB. In saying that - its like Holdens or Fords - Everyone has their preference but I have always found ATI cards to work perfectly. I have an old ATI card in a MUCH older machine than the one I run now and it still sits in darl with 25fps (though not much chop in raids and 256mb). Ive found their drivers to work as they should and updated regularly.

Personally I wouldn't put a GTX card in my machine Ive just found that ATI have always done a great job for me. I read a review the other day on the 5 series ATi cards and that makes me want to get another one just to have the newest bits for my machine!! I can try and track down where I read that if you want to see?

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 21 Jan 2010, 11:43

5870's are expensive yo, but if you are going to buy a card now I'd go with the 5850 for one main reason.

DX11

If you are Nvidia fanboi I'd suggest waiting because they are supposedly releasing there DX11 cards some time this month/early next month. I presume they'll do something similar to ATI (one mid range & one high end card).

Chappy
Epic

Post by Chappy » 21 Jan 2010, 11:53

thanks guys... i have always been with nvidia.. but am keen to give ATI a go, ive heard good things, im keen for any of the 58 series but money bening an issue...

the 5770 come with DX11 aswell exact
It supports the advanced graphical features of DirectX 11
http://www.guru3d.com/news/sapphire-rad ... 70-vaporx/

i think ill go with that for now and upgrade to the 5870's in about 2-3 months... since the 59 series is now out, im suspecting the price to drop a heap for the 58's....

the 5770 im looking at is the Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB Vapor-X... it runs 9 degrees cooler then any other of the 57 series
The Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X from Sapphire not only provides a greater headroom for overclocking, but it even boasts a higher quality cooling mechanism, which keeps the card about 9 degrees Celsius cooler than other methods. This superior cooling solution allowed the manufacturer to set the card's clock frequency slightly higher than the stock 850MHz, reaching 860MHz without affecting stability and lifespan.
since im going to be getting the newest DFI LANPARTY DK Mother board for some serious over clocking the cooler vid card might be the better option..
http://www.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmproduct.

you have talked me into it.. ill place order this arvo for it
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 22 Jan 2010, 10:47

lol, more news from nvidia on their new nVIDIA GF100 Fermi chipset.