Is Windows vista a Virus

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Chappy
Epic
Is Windows vista a Virus

Post by Chappy » 13 Nov 2009, 14:44

Is Windows vista a Virus
No, Vista is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1.They replicate quickly - okay, Vista does that.

2.Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Vista does that.

3.Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Vista does that too.

4.Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. - Sigh.. Vista does that, too.

5.Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. - Yup, Vista does that, too.

Until now it seems Windows Vista is a virus but there are fundamental differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows Vista is not a virus.

It's a bug.
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run

Xact
Legendary

Re: Is Windows vista a Virus

Post by Xact » 13 Nov 2009, 16:19

/clap

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 13 Nov 2009, 16:33

Xact wrote:/clap
I knew you'd pick up a disease overseas!
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Lionhearted
Rare

Post by Lionhearted » 13 Nov 2009, 16:33

windows 7 rocks.. it really does - Ive been using it for 6 months now and it runs perfect and fast.

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 13 Nov 2009, 17:10

Whilst I agree Windows 7 is good, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who actually liked Vista. Of course I waited for the service pack and still had an issue with the MBR going where it wasn't meant to (onto my old, dying drive), but generally I found it stable and an improvement on XP, once I'd customised it. From the way everyone talks about it, you'd think it were Win ME.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 13 Nov 2009, 17:18

dukkha wrote:Whilst I agree Windows 7 is good, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who actually liked Vista. Of course I waited for the service pack and still had an issue with the MBR going where it wasn't meant to (onto my old, dying drive), but generally I found it stable and an improvement on XP, once I'd customised it. From the way everyone talks about it, you'd think it were Win ME.
Nah, I have no strong feelings of hatred toward Vista (relative to the ones I have for any MS OS).

Vista did a handful of things right, that needed to be done. It also did a handful of things infuriatingly poorly (I still cannot associate a file type with an application, for example), and also obfuscated the intent or purpose of some of its changes.

Windows 7 is, to my eye, only a little more than a bigass Vista service pack at full OS retail price (unless you bought a Vista machine in the last 3 months, in which case it's free).

So despite all the bad press Vista gave MS, it turned out to be a "new coke" style money winner. Who's really laughing?
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Chappy
Epic

Post by Chappy » 13 Nov 2009, 17:57

dukkha wrote:Whilst I agree Windows 7 is good, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who actually liked Vista. Of course I waited for the service pack and still had an issue with the MBR going where it wasn't meant to (onto my old, dying drive), but generally I found it stable and an improvement on XP, once I'd customised it. From the way everyone talks about it, you'd think it were Win ME.
man i liked vista... i ended up knowing it better then XP.... the only reason i linked this is cause mum thinks 7 isnt worth putting on so i give her shit about vista =P

i liked vista.... but 7 is 10X better
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 13 Nov 2009, 19:19

Qts running vista and it crashes about 10x as often as my XP. Both fully updated.

Sorha
Epic

Post by Sorha » 15 Nov 2009, 08:20

I really never have trouble with Vista o_O
Don't think this installs crashed once since Feb.. unless that ram/MB thing occurred after then >.<

Must be one of the lucky ones :O

"associate a file type with an application"
You mean open .txt with Word instead of Notepad when you use the default open command? o_O

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Nov 2009, 01:07

Sorha wrote:Must be one of the lucky ones :O
I suspect Alley and QT are two of the unlucky ones.
"associate a file type with an application"
You mean open .txt with Word instead of Notepad when you use the default open command? o_O
Basically, yes.

I work with a lot of non-standard extensions. Unless the appropriate application associates itself with the file type, I cannot associate a file type with a non standard application - even editing the registry manually.

There are a few other niggling interface issues; not enough to motivate me to purchase and install 7, but enough that I shake my head over how such bugs or inconsistencies can not only get released, but make it through 2 service packs.

Sorha
Epic

Post by Sorha » 16 Nov 2009, 11:55

eh I only ever use the Change Opens With thingy in the files properties.. to lazy to try to set them anywhere else >.<

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Nov 2009, 13:10

Sorha wrote:eh I only ever use the Change Opens With thingy in the files properties.. to lazy to try to set them anywhere else >.<
I'd be cool with that, except the tick box for "always open this kind of file with this program" doesn't do anything either :-P