Avant Garde lols [NSFW]

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Zoetica
Rare
Avant Garde lols [NSFW]

Post by Zoetica » 10 Apr 2009, 18:37

So, I am pretty sure most of you are unaware I am studying Fine Arts (insert witty comment about the negative value of my degree here)... and the other day in class we discussed an artist I found, interesting? I'll let you be the judge :P

He is from Belgian, lives in a castle, and does artworks based on sex, jesus-bashing and poo >.> Do not click if you are easily offended by most things. Also, nsfw!

http://www.wimdelvoye.be/

I found his "sex-rays" interesting... http://www.wimdelvoye.be/xrays.php#

But he also does some very beautiful large scale sculptures, based on Gothic Architecture http://www.wimdelvoye.be/gothicworks.php#

Enjoy!

Takius
Legendary

Re: Avant Garde lols [NSFW]

Post by Takius » 15 May 2009, 23:07

Zoetica wrote:So, I am pretty sure most of you are unaware I am studying Fine Arts (insert witty comment about the negative value of my degree here)... and the other day in class we discussed an artist I found, interesting? I'll let you be the judge :P
Hey at least its more useful than REGULAR arts....

But yeah, interesting stuff there, I like.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 16 May 2009, 03:08

Ah, that guy.

Which uni do you attend, Zoe?

My brother is doing (apparently) his Phd in Fine Arts atm... UNSW(?)

That's assuming he ever gets it done. I don't even know what his paper is on - he doesn't ask me about mine, I don't ask him about his :-P
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Zoetica
Rare

Post by Zoetica » 16 May 2009, 12:35

I'm at USYD.

Kinda wish I attended UNSW because the Collage of Fine Arts there seems a bit less wankerish than the one I am at, lol. And wow at you both doing PhD's! I will be happy to just finish what I am doing now, I have the craving to be working instead of studying, though I may go back and do Honours in a few years.

Whats your paper on?

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 16 May 2009, 14:21

Oh god... I'm not doing a Phd, no chance.

I finished a major project for my degree about a year ago, but I declined further studies after that. I might go back to uni once the business is a bit more settled in, but at the moment I have neither the time nor money to study :-(

Of course, if the economy gets worse and I have to move back home, I'll probably head in for some postgrad stuff :-)

(the project wasn't very exciting - to do with machine interpretation of tabular data. ie, a program that converted a table into English sentences describing that table. Zzzzz)

What sort of assignments are they giving you for fine arts? IIRC, Lucas had some pretty interesting stuff when he was at UWA.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Zoetica
Rare

Post by Zoetica » 16 May 2009, 16:28

Most of the time we are given interesting things to do. Like last week I did a talk on a contemporary jeweller I like (since Jewellery is where I am headed after I finish), her gallery website is here.

I've also written some papers on subjects i consider interesting, like I did one on the Cyborg myth, Damien Hirst and the concept of the Sublime, software art and I'm about to do one on how Japanese art influences people like myself.

I guess it could be seen as stuff that "doesn't matter" to most people, but I personally can't live without these things. I've always been a sucker for art and pop culture :P