Being smart and dating...

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Mews
Legendary
Being smart and dating...

Post by Mews » 10 Apr 2009, 16:28

Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Zoetica
Rare

Re: Being smart and dating...

Post by Zoetica » 10 Apr 2009, 18:24

I am now using this as an excuse, ignoring the fact that I have a thing for assholes, therefore dooming myself!

/wave Mew

:P

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 10 Apr 2009, 19:01

See I'm a smart asshole.

They cancel each other out.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Nats
Rare

Post by Nats » 10 Apr 2009, 21:21

Muse wrote:See I'm a smart asshole.

They cancel each other out.
not really imo.
A smart person with highest moral, equality and humanitarian principles should be able to "fake being an asshole" in order to get some booty.
The guys just need to emit an aura of slight arrogance and give the lady very few spicy comments from time to time. Gives them the feeling they can tame the guy at the end.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 11 Apr 2009, 02:01

i love this topic,
mostly because its full of shit

imo, probably coz im the second dumbest person in the history of this guild (take that wiretap!)
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 11 Apr 2009, 02:44

Johnnyrico wrote:i love this topic,
mostly because its full of shit
^ thankyou.

1) "Smart" is beyond adequate definition. IQ doesn't measure how "smart" someone is. University achievements don't measure how "smart" someone is.

They measure one aspect of achievement in, what are often predominantly intellectual fields. They don't measure how useful that is. In fact, in the case of IQ, they measure how good you are completing particularly useless tests.

2) Ignoring one, and taking whatever woefully inadequate definition of "smart" you choose:

Smart people spent more time on achievements than on relationships when growing up.
No. Competitive people do. Some people are just plain smart. Other people work really hard. Coming to the conclusion that the majority of people in the top 10 or 20% of their field of endeavour are all achievement focussed and incapable of distinguishing between objective achievement and emotional fulfilment, while assuming the "dumbasses and underachievers" can (to a greater degree) is stupid.

Smart people feel that they're entitled to love because of their achievements.
Everyone feels they're entitled to love because of their achievements.
Just the same as everyone feels they have a "great sense of humour".
I'd challenge you to succeed in a relationship while not feeling that you deserve it - for whatever reason.

You don't feel like a fully-realized sexual being, and therefore don't act like one.
What're we, in the 70s?
Certainly self-image might have a lot to do with how well we set ourselves up to succeed in our relationships, but I suspect it has more to do with personality and less to do with intellect.

You're exceptionally talented at getting in the way of your own romantic success.
Have you seen the people who dance like they just don't care?
I rest my case.
Besides, the imperitive built into your DNA is for breeding. That's different to dating.
If you want to fool your body into thinking its work is done, go rent a hooker with the money you made being smart.

By virtue (or vice) of being smart, you eliminate most of the planet's inhabitants as a dating prospect

"Let's say by 'smart' we mean 'in the top 5% of the population in terms of intelligence and education'. Generally speaking, smart people seek out other smart people to hang out with, simply because they get bored otherwise. And if they're going to spend a lot of time with someone, intelligence in a partner is pretty much a requirement.

Well, congratulations -- you've just eliminated 95% of the world's population as a potential mate, Mr or Ms Smartypants."

No. FFS... if you're the top in your field you don't only hang out with other people from your field. There are greater than 5% of the total population who are in the top 5% of something.

Besides - just because you're in the top 5%, doesn't mean you don't get along perfectly well with people in the top 10, 20, 30%.

Frankly this article smacks of late night pot fueled bullshitting - which would be fine except that it's published and written (supposedly) for people capable of understanding causation and demanding empirical evidence.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 11 Apr 2009, 02:46

This is really why I posted it, so that Cart would have something to systematically destroy.

Glad I could be of service.

And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 11 Apr 2009, 02:46

Muse wrote:This is really why I posted it, so that Cart would have something to systematically destroy.

Glad I could be of service.
Don't think I don't know when I'm being baited.

I just can't resist taking the goddamn bait > . <
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!