How do you say this in English?

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Xact
Legendary
Re: How do you say this in English?

Post by Xact » 08 Jan 2009, 16:58

No, thats a game.

Game's and reading are two completely different things.

I can understand why you would say that (if your into the lore, which i've tried reading and didn't really like), but that's not my reason for playing the game.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Jan 2009, 17:12

Xact wrote:...if I cant grow from it in some way, I may as well be reading the herald sun."
You've probably hit one of the more compelling points in this discussion (which has gone entirely off-topic btw):
What constitutes growth for some doesn't constitute growth for others.

It's pretty much as simple as that.

It's also possible you've just been reading the wrong books, but there you go.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 08 Jan 2009, 17:14

I was just talking to elmo about this and she brought up a good point about movies tv etc. I think in this case it comes down to time investment. I'm not a super fast reader, so to get through a novel takes some time, and although I was thoroughly encouraged to read as a child (mum is a huge reader) I always found it slow and tedious, probably have slight A.D.D.

I know it's oxymoronic but I just don't enjoy reading fiction anymore, for the time invested I'd prefer to read non-fiction or a manual of some sort lol.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Jan 2009, 17:35

Saph's the same way; there's some idea that you're improving yourself by reading non-fiction as opposed to fiction.

Whether that's true or not doesn't really matter - if you can't enjoy fiction, then there's no good reason to read it.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 08 Jan 2009, 17:37

I've found that my time spent reading is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend not at home and not engaged in any other activities.

In other words, I read a lot whenever I have to be on the train for a while (2 hours to Nagoya to be with the SO, for one.) This was also true when I was studying abroad here a good 8 years ago and had a daily 1 hour commute.

Reading is just filler -- it's something I do when work, the fiancee, showering, peeing, and the internet are all on cooldown >.>

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 08 Jan 2009, 17:46

Yeah, I know most people do reading as a filler for travelling, i even read a few books last year on the ride into work.

Problem is my daily commute actually on a train is about 15 minutes each way.

Now on the way home I just pull out my iPhone, listen to some music and check some stock prices, current currency rates (waiting to pre buy some money before my trip) or just check facebook =\

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 08 Jan 2009, 20:12

what about recounts or ... journals.

At the moment I'm reading through a 'Top Gear' best drives of all times and its different. It's non-fiction and is more like real life short stories. I'm not much of a reader but finding it pretty good.
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 09 Jan 2009, 01:23

or if you want to expand your mind.

http://www.ted.com
TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from those three worlds. Since then its scope has become ever broader.

The annual conference now brings together the world's most fascinating thinkers and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18 minutes).
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Chappy
Epic

Post by Chappy » 09 Jan 2009, 03:05

how bout 50 odd books give or take 49

or

50 odd books give or take several........ tens
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Jan 2009, 10:15

Mitra wrote:or if you want to expand your mind.

http://www.ted.com
Kelso wrote:Shutup, Ted.

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 09 Jan 2009, 10:58

Pretty sure I own every pratchett book except for the Johnny and the .... series, cbfed reading them.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Jan 2009, 12:13

I remember the Johnny and the... books to be reasonably good studies on ethical quandaries... but I was 14 at the time, so I guess they could be far less compelling than I remember.

For sheer wicked satire though, nothing beats the Gnome trilogy.

Ooh, I need to add those books to my "buy it when I have enough money to not starve" list...

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 09 Jan 2009, 12:17

His new one, Nation, wasn't bad for a non-discworld book, although I would have prefered a discworld one.

Currently I'm reading a lot of books by James Clavell, who writes historical fiction about the european expansion into asia (ie establishment of Hong Kong ect). Very interesting stuff, I recommend it if you've read Wilbur Smith's stuff and enjoyed it.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 13 Jan 2009, 17:48

I've been reading a fair bit since I got to Aus, mostly just like Phil does as just a filler while travelling. I work split shifts in the weekends so I'll go down to a park or Fed square and just read a book after I've done anything I needed to do. It's pretty relaxing.
I got right into Tim Winton books and read 3-4 of them in a row, some of them more twice (Cloudstreet <3).

I finished The unbearable lightness of being just before christmas, and although I don't think I understood all of it, or even most of it, it's a very good read. Very philosophical and puts your head in places you usually wouldn't go. Wish I didn't give it to someone else to read, I'd like to give it another going through.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 13 Jan 2009, 23:00

I love sci fi books and fantasy. I dunno maybe to some its all crap and untruths, but remember a lot of sci fi written in the 40s and 50s is now science facts. I will pretty much read anything aslong as it is well written though, so far hatter and I could start our own library, seriously we probably own about 1000+ books. I read about 2 a week he reads 3-4 a week. Just think of all the money we could save! And yea I know you can trade em in for new ones (well for second hand but new as in the sense we havent read them yet) but theres something nice about being surrounded by books.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine