Server moving to a real host

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Server moving to a real host

Post by Cartollomew » 21 Oct 2008, 12:58

Nothing set in stone as yet, but I'll be moving this forum and website onto a proper host within around a month.

The move could potentially be a little bumpy, but realistically shouldn't involve more than a day's downtime at the absolute most.

It should be noted that I'm still something of a control freak with regards to this stuff - the only difference is that I now part-own an actual hosting company :-)

Unfortunately no Ventrilo license as of yet - the guy who owns Vent is a paranoid lunatic convinced that any and all people are out to steal his ideas.

So bear with the dodgy server for only a few more weeks, and then we'll have better uptime, fewer unplanned outages and quicker page loads.

More information if and when I get time to organise the move.

-C
Last edited by Cartollomew on 22 Oct 2008, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Marlosious
Epic

Post by Marlosious » 21 Oct 2008, 23:22

Nice.... would this new server have the potential to host wow patches etc? that would be pro

Takius
Legendary

Re: Server moving to a real host

Post by Takius » 21 Oct 2008, 23:32

Cartollomew wrote: Unfortunately no Ventrilo license as of yet - the guy who own Vent is a paranoid lunatic convinced that any and all people are out to steal his ideas.
I never thought of selten that way :<
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Oct 2008, 01:21

Takius wrote:I never thought of selten that way :<
Selten just rents it, he doesn't own it :-P

The issue is becoming a licensed host for ventrilo, rather than just renting one server off someone else.

Currently there are only 2 companies in Oz who are licensed to host it, and neither of them are much chop. But our friend at Ventrilo isn't very forthcoming with licenses.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 22 Oct 2008, 10:41

Can we get some personal spaces on this new host?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Oct 2008, 11:25

Alleycat wrote:Can we get some personal spaces on this new host?
Specifically what're you after?

snowsloth
Uncommon

Post by snowsloth » 22 Oct 2008, 15:19

Cartollomew wrote:
The issue is becoming a licensed host for ventrilo, rather than just renting one server off someone else.

Currently there are only 2 companies in Oz who are licensed to host it, and neither of them are much chop. But our friend at Ventrilo isn't very forthcoming with licenses.
I went through that last year when I used to own/run an ISP - even approaching them officially they were very difficult to extract info out of. I certinally was not prepared to give them the financial details of my company they requested to have before they would talk in detail.

If only Teamspeak worked better...
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

snowsloth
Uncommon

Post by snowsloth » 22 Oct 2008, 15:27

just having a look to see what else is out there - this is neat:

Positional Audio
Mumble also has positional audio for meaning the other players' voice will come from the direction their character is in game. The players position in World of Warcraft is transmitted along with every audio packet, and Mumble uses standard DirectSound 3D to position the audio on the receiver side.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 22 Oct 2008, 15:29

like something where I can toss stuff up for like hosting pictures cause I hate photobucket and for maybe making a 'homepage' for my mum so she can read about my mundane life here without trying to send emails.

Just a general use space, not for hosting thousands of GB of pron/movies/games (unless you can set that up as well ;))

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Oct 2008, 16:34

snowsloth wrote:If only Teamspeak worked better...
This is the lament of myself and my business partner - as soon as something comes out that can properly compete with ventrilo, he'll be gone (soup nazi style).

Positional audio sounds neat, but not really ideal. The additional overhead, processing and so on make me wary.

I'll check out mumble though - no reason not to.
Alleycat wrote:like something where I can toss stuff up for like hosting pictures cause I hate photobucket and for maybe making a 'homepage' for my mum so she can read about my mundane life here without trying to send emails.

Just a general use space, not for hosting thousands of GB of pron/movies/games (unless you can set that up as well )
Mmm, a member's page for long-term members sounds doable - basically, as long as its not likely to cause a spike in bandwidth use, I'm happy to set it up.

The end result would be something like

molotov.org.au/~alleycat
or
alleycat.molotov.org.au

I'm currently looking at domain names too; .org.au or .net.au are the only real options, unless we want to go with something other than "molotov".

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 22 Oct 2008, 16:39

I was thinking "ooo, let's change the guild name to Naughty Secrets and we can have the domain name be "naughtysecrets.org" .... but it turns out that there is *already* a guild named naughty secrets in wow, and they use that guild name. Gah!

All the other naughty secrets domains are .... well, a quick search makes me afraid to open any of them at work.

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 22 Oct 2008, 17:49

Got something share Phil?
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Oct 2008, 17:57

Muse wrote:Got something share Phil?
Obviously not while he's at work.

Also, naughtysecrets.org would probably get more hits than I'd like :-P