MORE computer issues /sigh

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Karjalan
Legendary
MORE computer issues /sigh

Post by Karjalan » 01 Oct 2008, 06:01

So my computer died this morning and when it rebooted I all of a sudden had no internet connection. I reset the router and modem before realising that it wasn't even trying to connect it would just instantly tell me "you are not connected to the internet".

My router tells me that my computer is connected, but my computer tells me that it is not connected to the router (or anything). I can't even access the router (put in the old 192.163.xxx.xxx).

My network connections has one connection that simply says "connected" regardless of if I have a cable plugged in or not, and the strangest part about that is that I hve 3 network ports in the back of my PC.... but it looks like it's not recognizing them.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? I can probably get more info, I have this second computer which appears to be having no issues and has acceess to the internet.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 01 Oct 2008, 09:38

192.168.xxx.xxx (maybe wrong number?)

Are all your system devices still installed in the Device Manager?

Have you tried re-running the network setup wizard (I always thought it was a PoS but it seems to sometimes fix weird network errors that you can't seem to track down).

And of course the most important, Did you pay your internet bill?

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 01 Oct 2008, 10:06

Alleycat wrote:Are all your system devices still installed in the Device Manager?

Have you tried re-running the network setup wizard (I always thought it was a PoS but it seems to sometimes fix weird network errors that you can't seem to track down).
I did the network setup and it appears to be working... although I also pulled out the network card and re put it back in a different PCI slot... I had a similar problem previously which I only managed to fix by buying a new network card (the two motherboard mounted ones failed to work), but as I already had a spare network card I am not sure why it happened again.
However the network wizard apparently fixed it, so cheers.
Alleycat wrote: 192.168.xxx.xxx (maybe wrong number?)

And of course the most important, Did you pay your internet bill?
Nah the problem was the computer as opposed to the internet/router. Other computers on the router still had perfect internet access and I couldn't get any contact from my main PC to the router via network or anything...

For the time being it appears solved, although would be nice to know wtf happened >.<.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 01 Oct 2008, 10:22

Let me get this straight... both your onboard network devices failed?

Your motherboard doesn't really sound... reliable.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 01 Oct 2008, 10:28

Did you install anything new recently (hardware in slots)?

When I installed my new video card I lost my network card that was attached to my PCI bus. The remedy was pretty retarded. I unscrewed the the part that mounts into the case... Turns out it wasn't sitting in properly while it was screwed in because (I would imagine this is the case) the case is distorted.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 01 Oct 2008, 10:56

@ Cart, yeah both the motherboard network slots failed... but this time so did the extra network card I installed in the PCI slot...

Yeah I have long suspected the motherboard is the cause of all my problems... but my worst fears were confirmed when I handed in my PC to get checked out to 3 separate entities and all of them said "your computer is fine".... like fuck it is. One of them held it running and "stress tested it" over night and got nothing, I get it back and it crashes within 3 hours of being at my place... No one could find anything wrong with it despite getting inconsistent test results, I assumed it might be the power of my old flat but getting a PSU and moving flats both did nothing to absolve the problem... I also handed in both sets of ram separately for testing too and they were both fine despite memtest86 coming back with errors... although apparently the errors can be cause of CPU/Motherboard as well... again... sigh.

@ Ally, Nah haven't installed new hardware for a LONG time. It was just a routine PC crash for me and it came back with no internet access.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 01 Oct 2008, 10:58

Your motherboard doesn't have any caps that look like these?
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 01 Oct 2008, 11:08

Cartollomew wrote:Your motherboard doesn't have any caps that look like these?
Why yes... yes it does, and multiple. They're all black and of varying sizes.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Selten
Legendary

Post by Selten » 01 Oct 2008, 11:17

Check Device Manager to see what it sees about the status of your network adaptors.
I hate jokes about German sausages. They're the wurst.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 01 Oct 2008, 11:37

Karjalan wrote:
Cartollomew wrote:Your motherboard doesn't have any caps that look like these?
Why yes... yes it does, and multiple. They're all black and of varying sizes.
I don't mean "does it have caps", I mean, "do the caps that it has look like those.

The capacitors pictured on that page are all faulty; do the capacitors in your mobo have any of the following symptoms:

*Bulging of the vent on the top of the capacitor. (The 'vent' is the impression stamped in the top of the can. The impression forms the seams of the vent. It is designed so that if the capacitor becomes pressurized it will split at the vent's seams relieving the pressure rather than making it explode.)

*In the case of Dell Optiplex GX270s often a "Thermal Event" is displayed in white on a black screen when rebooting.

*Sitting crooked on the circuit board as the bottom rubber plug is pushed out

*Electrolyte (a crusty brown substance) leaked onto the motherboard from the base of the capacitor

*Venting from the top of the capacitor, visible as rust-like brown deposits, or a visible hole in the vent.

Additionally, the to of the capacitor should be flat (they should be like a cylinder), not bulging at the top.

If you have any caps like that, then your motherboard is liable to be quirky at best, and downright useless and unpredictable at worst.

It'll need replacing in this case.

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 02 Oct 2008, 00:42

It'll need replacing in this case.
I CONCUR..... I miss that minimeme...