FPS issues and computer cleanup

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Philondra
Legendary
FPS issues and computer cleanup

Post by Philondra » 12 Sep 2008, 15:15

Question for the computer wizards among you:

I purchased my computer approximately 1 year ago (windows Vista, etc. etc.) and over the last several months I've noticed a steady decline in performance when playing ... well, anything, even World of Warcraft. This actually. Games are by no means unplayable, but lately my former powerhouse has been playing more like the little engine that could, despite the fact that even a year later the specs are not too bad.

I'm looking for suggestions to improve my overall performance

Here's what I'm looking at:

Windows Vista wtih SP1
2G RAM
2.4 MHz Pentium Dual Core
GTX9800, 1 Gig(?) of RAM

Other than updating my video drivers (which isn't the sole issue -- the computer is even slow booting up!) what can I do to get back even a portion of its former glory? I am aware that computers tend to decline in performance over time, but this just seems so much worse than my old rig.

My C drive still has 30G of free space, so I don't think it's not a virtual memory issue.
I do weekly defragmenting, so it's not like I've got issues there.

Looking for help and advice.

Xact
Legendary

Re: FPS issues and computer cleanup

Post by Xact » 12 Sep 2008, 16:54

Philondra wrote:Windows Vista wtih SP1
BINGO

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 12 Sep 2008, 17:09

oo id like to know this as well

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 12 Sep 2008, 18:19

do updates.
clean your crap up.

virus scan
spybot/adaware etc.
c-cleaner has a free registry cleaner.

run MSconfig check whats starting on startup.

don't keep files on your desktop- only shortcuts (it's cool to leave things there short term but not "super many musics" for example

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 12 Sep 2008, 21:29

More or less what Mitra said - check how many processes are running as soon as the machine boots up.

Typically I try to shoot for under 30, but YMMV.

Uninstall/remove from startup any of the crap that "free" software tries to install to run on startup (quicktime, realplayer, adobe acrobat - these are all culprits who run things on startup and don't bloody need to).

Failing that, it's possible that your Windows install has reached its half-life, but it was my understanding that Vista was a little more reliable on this front.

If you reinstall Windows and it still runs like arse, it could be a hardware issue.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!