Escapist Mag/Zero Punct is down nuuuuu

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Jul 2008, 11:56

Karjalan wrote:Man wtf... when did the internet become so complicated....

I think it finally worked as now I can see the escapist/ZP... but NOW half the things at cricinfo.com don't load properly and facebook loads in budget "white background BIG blue writing with no pictures" styles....
That be whack, werd.

I've got idea what's going on there - I can only assume that someone has been loading things onto an internet near you.

Like... like a big truck.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 30 Aug 2008, 08:21

Ok so there must be some middle ground... or some place that knows various DNS settings for different regions or something...

If I use the ones my ISP gave me I can't see Escapist Magazine... If I use the ones Cart mentioned I can't see Cricinfo.com.

Any internet saveys able to help a brother out?
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Aug 2008, 17:55

DNS from a nearby university are also handy if you can get 'em.

Prolly wanna keep your servers in NZ.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 30 Aug 2008, 18:23

Cartollomew wrote:DNS from a nearby university are also handy if you can get 'em.

Prolly wanna keep your servers in NZ.
True true... but how do you find dns servers?
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Aug 2008, 22:08

Welp, I googled for:

University of Auckland DNS

And came away with:
(the wrong thing. the right ones are below)

YMMV

Try it for whoever you want - mebbe try other ISPs (since yours appears unreliable). If you visit a random ISP's help page, it'll usually list their DNS servers - they're available for public use.

Just don't pop something into your DNS slot unless you're sure the IP belongs to a reputable organisation.
Last edited by Cartollomew on 31 Aug 2008, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 31 Aug 2008, 01:11

Ah ok... I wasn't aware they were that easy to obtain. I tried this "open dns" thing once that was supposedly the best thing since sliced bread but i didn't raelly notice a change and still couldn't view zero punctuation >.<
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 31 Aug 2008, 01:36

A DNS server is just a computer that turns your URL - google.com - into an IP address that your browser knows how to visit - 64.233.167.99

So it is in the nature of the thing that it's generally entirely open to use by anyone.

In theory, anyone reputable who runs a DNS should provide identical results to anyone else - but obviously this isn't the case, they usually take a while to all get on the same page when changes occur.

Also, it should be noted that I'm vaguely retarded and have posted the wrong IP address above. Auckland U's DNSs are:

Give those a whirl.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 04 Sep 2008, 16:33

Haha I tried the Auckland uni one and it shut down every site EXCEPT cricinfo (like the opposite to your aussie ones)... no idea what's going on there.

When I have lots of spare time I'll google and try all these different ones.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur