Hackintosh

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Hackintosh

Post by Cartollomew » 26 Nov 2012, 16:00

IOS development on a virtual machine is like pulling teeth.

I'm in the process of getting a (very) cheap, old macbook, circa 2009 to make the job slightly less freaking awful.

Which is fine. But I'd also like to justify buying shiny new hardware for other things. Like gaming.

So I'm putting together a list of parts to build a machine that can dual boot Windows and OSX. I'm never, ever going to buy full-price Mac-branded hardware.

Has anyone done this for a machine they used for any length of time? If so, from a software use perspective, were you constantly aware that you were running a kludge, or did it feel pretty much seamless? (or anything in between those extremes)

I'm aware that Hackintoshing is where desktop linux was a decade ago - if you have supported hardware, it's pretty straightforward, if a little involved (if you have unsupported hardware, then have fun wasting your time or writing your own drivers!), but I'm more interested in the user experience afterward.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!