Would you pay $1000 for a game?

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Xact
Legendary
Would you pay $1000 for a game?

Post by Xact » 03 Sep 2012, 20:21

I was just reading a few threads about GW2 and how people are saying there isn't enough content etc etc. One person asked (I always take into account when I buy something) "will I get my money's worth?"

So I thought about it, did some math and here is what I came to:

I purchased wow in April 2006, that is 6 yrs and 3 months or 75 months. Let's say conservatively I've had an active sub for 75% of that time.

((75/100)*75)*15 = 843.75

Vanilla, TBC, WotlK, Cataclysm. Let's say $40 a pop.

$843.75 + $160 = $1,003.75

Would I pay $1,000 for a game? Probably not. But if I said to someone, buy this game, you'll probably spend $200-300 before you're over it they'd tell me to piss off... I'd keep telling them to do it though!

BTW: GW2, paid $60 spent nearly 80 hours so far (not including betas). $0.75 an hour.

Kayleb
Epic

Re: Would you pay $1000 for a game?

Post by Kayleb » 03 Sep 2012, 23:02

I think you've over simplified it. You need to take into account the computer capable of running the games and all associated cost.

When I think about it, what else can you enjoy as much for the same cost?

The cinema cost $20 for a ticket, that might last a couple hours.
If you go for a drive somewhere to do an activity = fuel + car + activity cost + food.

Even if I like a game enough, I don't think I would pay $1000. The time to earn the money only to spend more time playing the game is too much time wasted for me.

Although, I am willing to pay thousands for a mountain bike I might only use on weekends. Strange.
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

midi
Legendary

Post by midi » 05 Sep 2012, 10:47

The cost of the matching skirt for the bike must also be taken into consideration Kayleb :wink:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tugger
Epic

Post by Tugger » 05 Sep 2012, 12:51

midi wrote:The cost of the matching skirt for the bike must also be taken into consideration Kayleb :wink:
Why don't forums have a 'WIN' button?

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 05 Sep 2012, 13:11

MMOs aren't really games - at least not the way we played WoW.

I think of it more as belonging to a sporting club or something. You're paying rent for the training and admin etc, but you're playing for the community - the people with which you play. It's a social thing.

I spend 40 bucks a month (usually) playing a few hours of squash, so 15 bucks a month for an MMO isn't a big deal at all really.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 05 Sep 2012, 14:25

Oh man, I enjoy squash. I've only played a couple of times in high school, with my friend who was #1 on the female varsity team (of course, my ass got kicked even though she was going easy on me), but I've played a decent amount of racquetball.

Of course, I'm way too out of shape to start playing again, but you may have just given me an idea of something to do when I lose a bit of weight...

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 05 Sep 2012, 15:41

Philondra wrote:Of course, I'm way too out of shape to start playing again, but you may have just given me an idea of something to do when I lose a bit of weight...
The stop-start nature of the game makes it arguably one of the best ways to lose weight. But only if you're far worse than, or at roughly the same level as your opponent. If you're better than them, you pretty much just stand in the middle while they run like crazy.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Sorha
Epic

Post by Sorha » 06 Sep 2012, 01:41

Used to play a lot of squash in my youth, easily my favorite game. Even though I can't see the ball against the lines (Red == Black with any speed involved).
That said if you do play choose an opponent who won't drive the ball into your kidney >.>

Squash is a pretty intense game, good way to burn energy.
And if you feel like playing dodgeball instead just use a bouncy ball instead of a normal one :D
Last edited by Sorha on 06 Sep 2012, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 06 Sep 2012, 08:07

I was playing weekly for about 18 months but switched to basketball.

You don't realise how much running is involved, you just think "ohh the court is small so it's pretty relaxed". Wrong. If the tempo is quick you get knackered in no time!

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 06 Sep 2012, 13:20

Xact wrote:You don't realise how much running is involved, you just think "ohh the court is small so it's pretty relaxed". Wrong. If the tempo is quick you get knackered in no time!
It's the same with soccer. You see players standing around a lot of the time or casual moving about the field but when the action comes it's exhausting.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 06 Sep 2012, 22:59

midi wrote:The cost of the matching skirt for the bike must also be taken into consideration Kayleb :wink:
(That's my bike)
Couldn't find a skirt that matched my full face helmet :?

Yeah, squash is pro. I played for ages. Thought about getting back into it actually!
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Ammune
Epic

Post by Ammune » 13 Sep 2012, 01:12

LMAO at this thread. It started with $1000 for a video game discussion and ended up with squash. Anyway, I play lots of basketball on the weekends as Xact said in an uptempo game you burn sooo many calories. I never realize how much effort it takes until I am sore as hell the next day. At 41 I can still dunk the damn basketball(although just barely). Most tiring sport I ever played was rugby. When I was in grad school I played for a few years and can't say I have ever been sooo tired as after a weekend of rugby.

@Kayleb just get yourself a nice brown leather skirt-it should match fabulously.